The old Abbey is the current location of the Institute of Adult Education in the city of Lemgo. Construction was ordered by Heinrich Kerkmann advisor to Count Simon VI of Lippe as a royal residency. The building was likely constructed by master builder Herrman Wulff. In 1768, the residence became the property of Count Ludwig of Lippe who made renovations through the year 1769 and after acquiring an adjoining plot of land, created a large garden, which is still maintained to this day
In 1960, after the death of the last royal resident of the house, Princess Carola of Lippe, it was acquired by the Town of Lemgo. Town council decided that it would be used to house the Lemgo Institute of Adult Education.
The influence of the renaissance style is easy to notice when one looks at the lovely façade. In the 19th century, the free standing staircase with a large landing was constructed.
Volkshochschule der Alten Hansestadt Lemgo
- Alte Abtei -
Breite Str. 10
Tel: ++49 (0) 52 61 - 21 32 79
Fax: ++49 (0) 52 61 - 21 33 39